Click here to send us your inquires or call (852) 36130518

Madone 5.2

Madone 5.2

Postby RoadBikeUsa on Wed Jul 02, 2008 8:12 pm

As promised here are my experiences with the Madone 5.2...

Model - 5.2
Price: $3,519
Weight: 16.64 lb
Frame: OCLV Black carbon fiber
Fork: Bontrager Race X Lite w/ E2 carbon
Sizes: 50, 52, 54, 56, 58, 60, 62, 64cm

***Bike Features***

A. Shimano's new Ultegra SL group compares to the common Ultegra and Dura-Ace parts weighing 97 grams less than Ultegra.

B. A popular feature in the new Madone line is the seatmast. A change was made to eliminate cutting. Usually this results in a great amount of stiffness but Trek uses a good amount of flex to combar this.

At first the feel is almost too forgiving, but after you get used to it, this fast-accelerating machine becomes a viable choice for even the roughest rides.

C. The Madone has been promoted as great handling and this was no lie. Very responsive yet comfortable due to design mechanisms implemented by Trek, including Precision Fit upper and lower headset bearings.

D. A new Race XXX Lite E2 full OCLV carbon fork, 90mm wide bottom bracket combine to increase performance and lighten the bike.

E. Trek is offering carious carbon frame configurations. The 5.2 uses OCLC Black, while others offered include:
    --- OCLV Red - current top of the line frame
    --- OCLV Black
    --- OCLC White

Each level has its own advantages with the more expensive Red and Black offering slight technical advantages while White catered toward the value-oriented buyer. All three seem to ride fast and the OCLV Black seemed like a lightning bolt when compared to my old Guru.

F. Along with the frame types, fit options include:

Pro Fit Bikes
    * Same stem, bar, and headtube sizes as the 07' Madone line.
      * 53/39 double chainrings only.

Peformance Fit Bikes
      * 30mm taller headtube than 07 Madone
      * 1cm shorter stem than 07 Madone
      * Compact or triple chainrings.

WSD Fit Bikes
      * 30mm taller headtube than 07 Madone
      * Shorter reach than both fits
      * Compact or triple chainrings.

Highlights:
      Shimano Ultegra SL STI shifters and brake levers, derailleurs, compact crank, brakes
      Bontrager Race Lite wheels, stem, tires, saddle and handlebar

All in all, after my last 100 miler, the body felt great, my speed was strong, but most importantly the bike was reliable. Another great ride from the Trek line. Although pricey, it is on top of its category. More cost friendly bikes from the Trek line include the Trek 1 or 2 series, or older models such as the Trek 1500. Next week, we will be reviewing the Trek 1500 so stay tuned or pm me for any other reviews you desire. I've ridden quite a few! ;)
    RoadBikeUsa

Re: Madone 5.2

Postby dannythomes on Sat Jul 05, 2008 11:37 pm

Thought about going with the 5.1 but ended up stepping up a knotch. I love it so far. Light and fast and races great. I love the Trek line and will continue to buy their bikes as I have had no bad experiences to date.

fingers crossed
    dannythomes

Return to Trek